THE GIFT OF THE FATHER TO THE SON
Lesson Text: Prov. 27:11
My son be wise, and make my heart glad, that I may answer him that reproacheth me.
Everyone who is given birth to can be regarded as a child or children but not everyone is qualified to be called a son or a daughter.
Rom 8:14: For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
Let’s consider the lives of these two people below:
1. Jesus Christ : Isa 9:6
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
- No wonder God said in Matt 3:17 (and lo a voice from heaven, saying. This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased).
- Until the Lord is pleased with what our children are doing they cannot become sons and daughters in the sight of God
- We need to teach our children to do things that are pleasing in the sight of God
God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.)
1 Chron 28:5-6: And of all my sons, (for the LORD hath given me many sons,) he hath chosen Solomon my son to sit upon the throne of the kingdom of the LORD over Israel.
And he said unto me, Solomon thy son, he shall build my house and my courts: for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father.
- Solomon graduated from being the son of a man to becoming the son of God
- When you release your sons and daughters to service unto God, God will immediately assume the role of a father to them
- We need to train our Children to rely on God more than how they rely on us.
1 Chron 29:1
Furthermore David the king said unto all the congregation, Solomon my son, whom alone God hath chosen, is yet young and tender, and the work is great: for the palace is not for man, but for the LORD God).
- When God chooses your sons and daughters, no matter how young or old they may be, God will wrought great wonders through them.
SOME REQUIREMENTS NEEDED BEFORE A CHILD CAN GROW INTO BEING CALLED A SON.
a. We Must teach them not to live a life of sin:
Prov 1:10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
- We must train our children to live a life free from sin.
- No matter how old they may be we must not stop admonishing them
Prov. 1:15-16. 15: My son, walk not thou in the way with them; refrain thy foot from their path:
16: For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.)
b. He/she Must honour his or her parents:
Ex. 20:12 Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
- We must train our children to respect us.
- When they do this, it buys them longevity and good success.
Deut 5:16 Honor thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
c. We Must teach them through our actions to keep God’s commandment:
Jer 32:39 And I will give them one heart, and one way, that they may fear me forever, for the good of them, and of their children after them.
- When they fear God, goodness will always follow you
d. Teach them to always Yield to the instruction of God
Prov. 4:10 Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many.
- Train them to learn how to follow God’s instruction
e. Teach them how to tap into the wisdom of God
Prov.4:11 I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths.
- Train them not to always rely on their own understanding but always seek the wisdom of God at all times
f. Let them know they are open to rebuke from God whenever they sin
2 Sam 7:14-15 (I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men: But my mercy shall not depart away from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before thee.)
Prov 29:15 The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame
- Do not take the rod too far away from your children
g. Teach them to be good children
Prov 20:20 Whoso curseth his father or his mother, his lamp shall be put out in obscure darkness.
Prov 1:8 My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother
- Train them to love both parents equally
John 5:19-20 (Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.
PASTOR LANRE AREOLA
for more details on pictures and proceedures of the service: check our posts on www.facebook.com/gacikeja and our tweets on www.twitter.com/gacikeja.