“Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me”. – Psa 51:11
“Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence [is]fulness of joy; at thy right hand [there are] pleasures for evermore”. – Psa 16:11
What does it mean to abide or be in the presence of God?
· It means to be in the will of God –Gen. 3:8
· “And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.” Gen. 3:8
· It means to acknowledge Him in all we do Prov. 3:6
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
· It could also mean referencing Him always in our heart
Presence of God symbolises:
· A place of glory –Heb. 1:3
Who being the brightness of [his]glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
· Security and divine guidance – Exd 33:13-15
Now therefore, I pray thee, if I have found grace in thy sight, shew me now thy way, that I may know thee, that I may find grace in thy sight: and consider that this nation [is] thy people.
And he said, My presence shall go [with thee], and I will give thee rest.
And he said unto him, If thy presence go not [with me], carry us not up hence.
· Fruitfulness and blessings Gen. 30:27
And Laban said unto him, I pray thee, if I have found favour in thine eyes, [tarry: for] I have learned by experience that the LORD hath blessed me for thy sake.
o Promotions and fulfilment Gen.39:2-3
“And the LORD was with Joseph, and he was a prosperous man; and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian. And his master saw that the LORD [was] with him, and that the LORD made all that he did to prosper in his hand.” Gen.39:2-3
FAILURE TO ABIDE IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD RESULTS IN:
· Trouble and problem(as in the case of Jonah) Jonah 1
· Life without purpose Gen. 4:13-14
“And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment [is] greater than I can bear. Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, [that] every one that findeth me shall slay me”.
HOW TO BE IN GOD’S PRESENCE
· Quiet Time – “And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed”. –Mark 1:35,
· Deep Digging – If you abide in me and my words abide in you, you will ask whatever you will and it shall be done for you – John 15:4.
· Prayer– Pray without ceasing – I Thess 5:17.
· Praise– God reveals Himself to those who earnestly seek Him – Deut 4:29. If you want to walk in the presence of God then you need to be practicing the presence of God and one of the major ways is by cultivating the habit of praise and worship. By placing ourselves before Him in a place of adoration, we make room for Him. Ps. 27, Heb 11:6.
PASTOR FEMI ATODE