Service is a duty, work, job or even, a help rendered or done by somebody in form of favor or punishment to someone else. Every service therefore comes with a mandate to fulfill And by this reason, it will not be out of order to find that for a particular service to be carried out effectively there will always be an empowerment which can come inform of fortification, equipment, provision of enabling environment etc……No wonder Jesus tells us in Acts 1:1-9, the text we just read that before we embark on the service He commissioned us to do, we need to be empowered. Empowerment in this context therefore means securing the optimum support of the one who has engaged us in His service. The only way we can be successful in this service given to us therefore is to be empowered by God through the Power of Holy-Spirit. This is also known as being baptized in the Holy Ghost.
Why do we need to be empowered? – John 16:1-14
· We need the comfort of God which His bodily presence represents. “But these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, ye may remember that I told you of them. And these things I said not unto you at the beginning, because I was with you. But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whithergoest thou” John 16:4-5
· We need to be led by God on the specifics of the assignment given to us.
“I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come” John 16:12-13
· Our initial encounter with Jesus is not enough
“Then said Jesus to them again, Peace [be] unto you: as [my] Father hath sent me, even so send I you. And when he had said this, he breathed on [them], and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; [and] whose-soever [sins] ye retain, they are retained” – John 20:21- 23
· We can only rendered quality service to Jesus if we are empowered
· “And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John’s baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.” – Acts 19:1-6
· It is through our being empowered that we can return all glory to God –
“Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew [it] unto you” John 16:13-14
How can one be empowered?
· You must be born again – John 3:3-6
· You must believe that you need the power – James 1:6 – 8
· You must yield yourself totally to the will of the Holy Spirit – Acts 2:1,
· You must be willing to be occupied with the power – Matt. 25:14 – 28
Benefits of the empowerment
· You will enjoy an intimate relationship with the person of Jesus
· You will know and be able to do the will of God
· Your eternity becomes more certain everyday
· You will have perfect knowledge of the things of God
· Your ability to discern evil from good will be increased.
PASTOR FEMI ATODE
PASTOR FEMI ATODE