One of best things that can ever happen to a human being is to be married (according to the will and purpose of God). It is expedient for us to know and do God’s will in marriage.
You have to be prepared (spiritually, mentally, psychologically, emotional, etc) before going into it….else, you’ll get confused.
It is the verbal and written covenant between two adults of opposite sex in the presence of physical and spiritual witnesses to live together without any intimidation of fear, and this covenant is binding for the rest of their lives.
- Personal relationship with God
Your relationship with God will sharpen your spiritual sensitivity and open your inner eyes.
Wait on the Lord in fasting and prayer!
Meditate on God’s word
The sensing of your spirit tells you the will of God…The Spirit bears witness with your spirit. You will have inner peace within you…
Sometimes, you need to go on a ‘deep sleep’ and allow the Lord to perfect His work in you.
- Spiritual– you must not be unequally yoked with unbelievers (2 Cor. 6:14). He/she must not be the one to draw you back spiritually. The spouse is supposed to be a partner in progress (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12). Iron sharpens iron… (Proverbs 27:17)
- Mental – Ensure that you are likely on the same page, so that you can relate freely on different issues. There must be a connecting point between the parties, in the area of their mindsets, value systems, etc. There shouldn’t be too much gap in the area of academic achievements/qualifications (my opinion). Your views on issues like morals, character, integrity, discipline must align.
- Physical– having satisfied the spiritual and mental compatibility requirements, you can give room for the physical.
- Faithfulness to God and to your spouse (Hebrews 13:4)
- Divorce is not an option (1 Cor. 7:10)
- Submit yourselves to each other in the fear of God (Ephesians 5:21)
- Finally, we must ‘leave….to cleave….’ (Genesis 2:24, Matthew 19:5, Mark 10:7, Ephesians 5:31).