What is Unity?
(Genesis 11:1-9, 1 Cor. 12: 12-26, Phil. 2:1-11)
I have been in many churches within GAC and outside. I have seen these churches grow at inception but all of a sudden there is sharp differences and the church that is fast growing begin to go backward or stagnant and I keep asking myself what happen?????? I asked because I see we are on the right path and I don’t want what as happen to other to happen to us. The message today is for the pastoral team, the team leads, work force and you members.
To be honest what we are about to discuss today I have not seen it in the this parish but I think God what us to write it down and when we get to that point it will be easy to cross it.
· Unity is an un-reduced or unbroken completeness or totality.
In the book of Gen. 11: 6 the heavens were afraid of the unity of son of man. The verse said “the lord said, Behold, they are one people and they all have the same language ……………….and now nothing which they purpose to do will be impossible for them.
If God is afraid of unity of man then the Devil will be more scared of unity of Children of God and as such will make sure there is division among them.
Looking at the Phil. 2, Here Paul is instructing the church how they are to act one to another. He’s leading them to unity. And it’s unity for a purpose. Vs. 2 says “working together with one heart and purpose.” It’s when we follow these instructions of Paul and we, the Church, are united, that we will accomplish our purpose.
· There are three purposes of the Church which are;
1. To worship God
2. To build up the saints
3. To spread the Good News.
In order to see what is necessary for us to achieve unity, let’s look at the four things paul the church in philippi to do.
1. Don’t be selfish. (vs. 3) The society in which we live is a very self oriented society. The big question we ask when we have a decision whether to do something or not is, “What’s in it for me?” or “How will I benefit from this?”
2. Don’t live to make a good impression on others.In such a success-oriented society, it seems that everyone wants to impress others with their accomplishments.
3. Be humble–think of others as better than yourself. Luke 18:9-14
4. Be interested in others. Here we move back to the concept of selflessness and teamwork. The Church really is not a one-man show. The Kingdom of God isn’t about what you are doing, or about what I am doing. It is about what we are doing together.
· What causes disunity in the church?
1. Superiority and inferiority complex
2. Back biting and gossiping (mind what you say and who you discuss the church with.) if I discuss someone with you be sure I will discuss you with someone.
3. Caucus in the church.
4. Too much secrecy in church activity.
5. Lack of follow up.
6. Unforgiving and unable to say sorry.
· How can Unity be sustained in the church?
Let see 1. Cor. 12: 12-26
1. You are important in the church
2. Every group and everybody are important in the church.
3. If there is anything in your mind ask question for clarification.
4. One mind and one vision. Eph. 4:1-6
5. Forgiving one another.
DEACON. OLUWAYIMIKA ANIBABA