Text: Gen.12:1-4, Ps.112:1-5
What is the fear of the Lord?
Oswald Chambers notes, “The remarkable thing about fearing God is that, when you fear God, you fear nothing else; whereas, if you do not fear God, you fear everything else.”)
1. The fear of the Lord is a deep reverence for God, and it causes men to want to please Him at all costs.
– The ability to recognize that He is the Creator and we His creatures, the Master and we His servants, the Father and we His children. Gen.12:1 & 4
2. A commitment to obey every divine instruction from the Lord as they come from time to time even when it is not convenient.
– Total reverence for Him and for His will that nothing else matters but doing that which pleases the Lord. Ps.112:1
3. It is to have a heart that is panting and seeking to know more of God.
– Where we understand that when we disobey it attracts punishment and that it also means nailing Christ back to the cross. Phil 3:10, Deut.10:12, Ps.25:12-14
How do I know I’m walking in the fear of God?
a. Righteousness and Holiness will be your constant choices.
– It is when the world standard no longer attracts you but instead your character begins to teach God’s standard to people around you. Job1:8, Prov. 3:7
b. When your service unto God becomes heavenly focused and not for earthly gains alone.
– When no one will need to force or entice you into service (where you do not consider the reward or applause of men but rather, “looking on to Jesus the author and the finisher of our faith” Heb 12:2) Josh.24:13-14
c. When your willingness to obey is immediate even when it is not convenient. (Prompt Obedience). Deut.13:4
– Mary the mother of Jesus had learnt from experience that if you can obey, you will see the wonders of God. John 2:4-5, Isa 1:19
– When Jesus says it’s not yet time for those things your heart desire, can you still follow sincerely?
– Once you miss out in God, you miss out in all.
d. When you show love towards God and to fellow brethren. Ps.112:4-5 & 9
e. When you are able to acknowledge your sin and depart from iniquity. Prov 3:7, Prov.16:6, Ps.51:3 & 16-17
– You need to sense God being offended at every sin you commit. Acts 13:22, Job 1:1-3
The Benefit/Blessing of Fearing the Lord
i. The fear of the Lord brings abundant Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding.
– Before one can grow in the Lord, he must first learn to fear Him. Prov.9:10, Prov 1:7, Ps.111:10
ii. The fear of the Lord gives Long Life.
– Study has shown that approximately 60% of human illnesses can be traced directly or indirectly to fear, sorrow, envy, resentment, guilt, hatred, or to any number of emotional stress, etc. but a life lived in the fear of the Lord with obedience to His Word will result in a much healthier existence. Prov.14:27, Deut.6:2
iii. It brings Preservation of Life. Deut. 6:24
iv. Revelation. (The secret in the Lord’s heart is revealed to them that fear Him).
– The fear of the Lord brings one to the revelation knowledge of those things to come.
“REVELATION separate you from others”
v. Deliverance from the attack of the enemy. Ps.34:7, Prov.19:23
vi. It brings Blessings and Honor (you will lack nothing).
– Walking in the fear of the Lord brings great spiritual and physical blessings.Prov 22:4, Ps.34:9, Ex.1:21.
vii. The fear of the Lord brings peace and rest that surpasses all understanding
– Peace to your home, business, education, job, family, peace over your children and even to the Church. Phil 4:7, Acts 9:31
Stewardship is serving God with fear and reverence. How much God is able to commit to you is as a result of your willingness to fear and serve Him.
The decision to live a life that is centered on holiness and respect for God is a decision that you must make for yourself.
Everything the Holy Spirit presented to us is a matter of choice therefore the fear of the Lord is a matter of choice. Gen 6:3
Your CHOICE determines what you BELIEVE and your BELIEF determine your FUTURE
When the Lord places a demand upon your life in the area of service, duty, etc. can you say boldly “Lord let your will be done”
Jere.17:10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.
Choose this day to fear God with the whole of your heart because it is all a matter of choice.
PASTOR LANRE AREOLA
Kindly like our facebook page and follow our post at www.facebook.com/gacikeja and tweets at www.twitter.com/gacikeja.